Apply now : RELAY project space open call
Call out to artists, producers, creative projects and organisations – we’re seeking proposals for our temporary project and exhibition space, RELAY at St Anne’s House.
Applications are assessed through a rolling deadline.
We are excited to be able to offer our 100m2 project space to 10 artists / collectives / projects for a month each over the next year, to develop new work and share it with our community in St Anne’s and wider Bristol. This is a great opportunity for contemporary visual artists wishing to make work at scale, experiment with new ideas, collaborate or start conversations around their work.
We will programme a mix of projects throughout the year, to support artist development in Bristol. We know how important it is to have space (masses of space!) to test ideas out, the benefit of presenting work to others and seeking critical feedback, and the value to all of us of experiencing art made in the city.
Each project will be public-facing, and we expect selected artists to engage with audiences in the form of talks, exhibitions, performances, workshops, open studios or other events that suit your project, and which we’ll support you to organise. We expect that some projects will present works in progress, and others will be finished exhibitions.
What we’re looking for:
- Inventive proposals about how use of our project space for a month might enrich your practice, or enable you to try something you haven’t been able to before.
- We want something that sparks a conversation – your ideas do not need to be fully polished at this stage. But equally – if you know exactly what you want to do, we want to hear about it!
- An openness to share and be part of our community at St Anne’s House for a month.
- Think your idea doesn’t fit what we’re looking for? We want to hear it; it probably does. If you think your idea suits working with us in a different way, let us know.
This is a work in progress – we have just got the lease and want to hear from artists as soon as possible so we can support projects in the wake of Covid-19 as society reopens.
We know there is a critical need for artist spaces in Bristol and hope that over this year we can collectively test ideas for how this space serves both Bristol’s artists and the local communities of St Anne’s.
Rough area of RELAY project space from front of St Anne’s House.
Rough guideline of RELAY project space.
Floor plan for Floor 2 where RELAY is situated.
Crop of Floor 2 floor plan showing RELAY project space dimensions.
Bus stop adjacent to front of St Anne’s House.
swipe left / right
scroll left / right
use your left / right arrow keys
scroll or use arrow keys left / right
- A lead creative for each project should be based in Bristol / West of England (Bath & North East Somerset, North Somerset or South Gloucestershire)
- Projects should have some form of public-facing activity over the course of the month you’re in residence. For example, if you were using the space as a studio to develop new work you could have a publicly accessible open studio every Saturday during set times when audiences can visit. Or an exhibition could be open daily during set public opening hours.
- Project duration should be approximately one month.
Support from Bricks:
- Projects will have light touch support from Bricks. Mainly in the form of:
- Free use of RELAY project space at St Anne’s House
- Free support with stewarding and invigilation (subject to volunteer recruitment), though we encourage artists to be on site as much as possible.
- Producer support in the form of:
- Project management kick off meeting
- Informal conversations around work, technical requirements, public engagement (depending on your needs)
- Introductions to other artists or creatives if relevant
- Engaging with community partners and community members if relevant.
- Communications and content support in form of:
- Graphic design
- Social media promotions
- Support with PR
- Feature in Bricks newsletter
- Event support.
- Generally the financial relationship will be cost neutral i.e. there is no hire fee for the space charged by Bricks, and there is no artist fee provided by Bricks.
- However we do have a micro commissioning pot that can be used to support some projects; this will be assessed on a case by case basis.
- Likewise, where projects have funding and can afford to contribute to the space costs, we would expect a contribution back to Bricks.
- Later in the year we are running funded opportunities for artist talks, podcasts and workshops, so there could be scope to link in with these.
- Selection will be by St Anne’s Arts Action Group and Bricks.
- We will be shaping a creative programme through this open call, but will be looking to leave space in the programme to be able to respond to opportunities and collaborations as they emerge. We are open to projects at any time between now and June 2022. As we appreciate that some projects will need the confirmation of space to structure project plans, there are likely to be subsequent opportunities to apply later in the year.
After you have applied, we would appreciate if you could fill in this monitoring information form which is kept anonymous from your application and not included in the allocation of workspace. The aggregated anonymous data we get from it helps us to inform our processes to ensure we are making opportunities fairly available to all: https://forms.gle/cHKVi5Zr8pMFwc9E7
If you have questions please email Artist Programme Producer, Jessica Akerman: Jessica@bricksbristol.org
If you have any feedback on this opportunity, how it is presented or the process for applying please email StAnnes@bricksbristol.org as we constantly seek to improve our processes.