Beth is a painter, printmaker and animator who lives and works in Bristol, UK.
Materials, primarily domestic and associated with touch, are the starting point for Beth’s paintings. Those that are ephemeral in nature, home to memories, feelings and intimacies; at once everything and nothing. She is influenced by digital and photographic processes; combining and collaging fragmented imagery, distorted perspectives and speeds of production. The surface of each painting is important, where Beth aims to highlight nuances in texture, transparency and finish. However, reminiscent of a digital screen, the paintings deny the viewer any contact or true sense of reality. This alienation is further enhanced by the animations, and brings into question the need for proximity and the comfort of distance.
Beth graduated with a BA in Fine Art from the University of Leeds in 2015, has been practising as an artist since 2018 and is a member and studio holder at the Artist Project Space.
Paintings and Animations (2019 - 2020)
- BA Fine Art (International), University of Leeds, UK (2011 – 2015 )
- Erasmus Study, Faculty of Fine Art, University of Lisbon, Portugal (2013-2014)
- Colyton Grammar School, Devon, UK (2004 – 2011)
- THG Open 2018, Thelma Hulbert Gallery, Honiton, UK (2018)
- Beth Luxton / Joy Anderson / Land Matters: After Process, 2 Roman Gate, Exeter, UK (Art Week Exeter) (2018)
- Local Art Show, Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter, UK (2017)
- SHIFT Fine Art Degree Show, University of Leeds, UK (2015)
- SHIFT Open Studio, The Merrion Centre, Leeds, UK (2015)