St Anne’s House
St Anne’s House is a new creative & community hub launching in summer 2021.
Bricks is taking on two floors of St Anne’s House, St Anne’s, Brislington to test ideas for how a creative community hub can work to serve local communities of St Anne’s and creative communities of Bristol.
St Anne’s House will support communities to come together in the wake of Covid-19, providing:
- Space for community activities and meetings
- Exhibition and project space for creative projects
- Workspace for ‘Work Near Home’ (office and desk space rental)
- Artist studios
We will be both programming projects as Bricks as well as supporting others to programme projects and activities by providing space.
Some projects that we have already secured funding for are:
- A project for local young people to explore local histories and heritage (The National Lottery Heritage Fund)
- Look and Learn – a participatory photography and wellbeing project for St Anne’s residents initiated by Josh Adam Jones (UWE Bristol Community Fund)
- Artist talks series (Arts Council England)
- Podcasts series (Arts Council England)
- Workshops (Arts Council England)
- Micro commissions for project space (Arts Council England)
- Working with local residents and artists to explore community-led housing (Community Led Homes West Enabling Fund).
Whereas in the pilot phase for Bricks Artist Programme we worked with a selected cohort of artists, all open call opportunities will now be open to all artists in Bristol and West of England.
We have also sought funding for community activities and to find ways to come together post Covid and will be seeking funding to explore what a youth space could look like in St Anne’s.
This use has been co-designed by the St Anne’s community over the last twelve months through the project ‘St Annes Creative Community Mapping’, as well as through ongoing consultation with creative communities through Bricks Artist Programme and DIY Arts Network.
St Annes Arts Action Group are a group of local residents we brought together to steer our work in St Anne’s. The group will be making decisions about what goes on in the building and wider activities to ensure St Anne’s House serves local needs and ambitions. Through 2021 the Arts Action Group will be looking to recruit new members to join, if that is of interest to you you can register interest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The clear and loud ask from the community is for space to come together, to meet neighbours and connect with one another through a creative community hub and that is exactly what we intend to provide.
Our initial lease from Bristol City Council is for one year. With this year we want to make the case for how a community space of a decent scale can be at the heart of any future developments of the site.
As an initial one year project things are going to be DIY and low-fi, we are not going to be able to do everything everyone wants, but together we can try out ideas, test new ways of working together and learn from any mistakes as they come up.
We truly want this to be a collaboration with all in our communities so do get in touch if you want to start something/ change something and lets have a conversation.
- No. 36 Bus runs from Bristol City Centre to our front door every 30 minutes. First Bus 36 Timetable
- 20-minute walk from Lawrence Hill train station (via Feeder Road)
- 8-minute cycle ride from Bristol Temple Meads station (via Feeder Road). Get to BTM by Ferry, Bus or Train.
- We have a car park, though encourage active travel where possible.
- The space is accessible via ramp and lift. The two floors we occupy are on first and second floor accessed via a ramp from outside to ground floor then lift up to first and second floor. Before the public opening of the building we will produce a video to show routes in and where facilities are.
- There is an accessible toilet on the ground floor.
- We will be exploring how we can best make all our offer accessible to everyone and welcome input in this process. More info coming soon.
- To discuss any access requirements/ check set up or opening time questions email email@example.com or phone 07709 264 201.
Our thanks also to all our funders who are supporting us on a project basis including key partner Arts Council England who’s support unlocked the potential in this project.
If you want to support our work in St Annes visit our supporters page.